Find a Job
Finding a Job in Australia's Northern Territory
The cheapest places to print your resume are the CDU library, public libraries in Darwin City, Nightcliff, Karama and Casuarina, and Officeworks.
Take a MOOC on resume writing. This one was really useful.
Many international students find work in the Northern Territory through less formal channels, such as:
- Local Social Media pages
- Public noticeboards
- Approaching businesses directly or just asking around
Your college or university may also be able to assist you to find work.
We know finding work can be hard and sometimes you don’t know where to start. There are many avenues to finding work in the Northern Territory. Below are links to job search sites. There are many websites that list jobs available in the Northern Territory.
National websites with Northern Territory jobs
Northern Territory Government jobs
Peak industry associations
Industry associations often have job listings on their websites:
- The Chamber of Commerce NT
- Master Builders NT
- Minerals Council of Australia NT Division
- CPA Australia
- Australian Hotels Association (NT)
- Engineers Australia Northern Division
- Property Council of Australia NT Division
Jobs are also advertised in Northern Territory newspapers:
- The positions vacant advertisements that appear in the NT News and Sunday Territorian, and the Centralian Advocate in Alice Springs are automatically listed in the Careerone website.
- NT News
- Centralian Advocate, Alice Springs
- The Darwin, Palmerston & Litchfield Sun newspapers, Darwin, Palmerston and Litchfield
- Tennant & District Times, Tennant Creek
- Katherine Times, Katherine
- Alice Springs News, Alice Springs
This is not a complete list of job websites and job hunters are encouraged to look online as there are many websites that list job vacancies in the Northern Territory. You could also look at the local recruitment agencies and employment connections.
Tips for finding a job
To find the right job, contacting recruitment agencies and websites advertising jobs are the best places to start. The following information should be useful in this process:
- Visit the directory of recruitment agencies in the Northern Territory
- View the Northern Territory Government Employment Opportunities
- Become familiar with the Australian employment guidelines for people interested in coming to Australia’s Northern Territory from overseas
If seeking employment in Australia’s Northern Territory, then you should also register on the Territory Worker Database.
Australian Core Skills Framework
The Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) provides a rich, detailed picture of real life performance in adult learning, and English. It draws on current theory and is informed by the extensive expertise of specialist practitioners in these fields.
The ACSF provides:
- a consistent national approach to the identification of the core skills requirements in diverse personal, community, work and training contexts
- a common reference point for describing and discussing performance in the five core skill areas
For more information visit the Australian Core Skills Framework.